On Your Side After An Injury

Should see a doctor for my road burn?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2020 | Firm News

Missouri motorcyclists have likely heard of road burn or road rash before. In fact, if you have fallen to the ground while riding, you have likely experienced it yourself. While these injuries are often painful, it is rare for them to be severe. This does not mean you can always treat it from home, though.

In many cases of mild road burn, you can treat it at home. You must keep the affected area clean to prevent infection. Initial check-ups may be necessary. With the proper first aid tools and care, most victims will not need to go back again. But are there cases in which you need to see a doctor even if the road burn was mild?

Yes, there are. Most of these cases have to do with complications that cause or stem from infections. For example, you should always see a doctor if you have debris embedded in a road burn, no matter how small or mild it is. This includes bits of glass, rock or pavement. If these objects are not removed, they can become infected.

Sometimes, despite your best at-home efforts, infection can set in anyway. If you experience signs of infection, you will also want to see a doctor. These signs include:

  • Redness, swelling or tenderness in the area
  • A weeping injury or an injury that still bleeds
  • A foul smell coming from the wound

Understanding how to identify road burn that must be treated is important. You can take a look at our linked web page here. You can also read more about injuries common to motor vehicle accidents and more.